Saturday, December 31, 2016

{Let's talk goals}

Goal setting is on my mind lately.  Call them intentions, call them goals, call them New Year's Resolutions, it's all the same in my mind.  I've never really been a big fan of the whole New Year's Resolution thing, because I've failed so. many. times. (You feel me, I know.)  But, as I've mentioned on this blog before, I do like the idea of starting something fresh, and the start of the New Year is a great time for that.  And, I'm turning 40 (wow!) in just over 2 weeks, so making some goals to accomplish this year just feels right.  Plus, I don't know about you, but I ate waaaaay too many cookies during the holidays, and it's time to dial that down a LOT.


So that said, I do have some pretty intentional goals this year.  And I'm limiting myself to just a few goals, so that I can actively and intentionally work toward completing them.  And I'm putting them out there for you all to see!!  It's a little scary and out of the comfort zone.  But, that's where growth happens, right? So here they are, my main goals for 2017:
  • to listen to my body, intentionally.  I often find myself eating out of habit, or giving into cravings just because I can.  My goal for fitness and wellness this year is to stop and listen carefully to my body before giving into those feelings.  Is my body really asking for chips and salsa, or is it actually asking me for something else? (cookies!!  wait. no.)   I also have a goal to re-ignite my passion for Oula and to push my body toward the best health level I can this year.  (Fabulous, Fit and 40... that can be me, right?)
  • to intentionally give myself structured down time.  I'm an introvert by nature, and it's really easy for me to escape into books and movies when my life feels stressful, and to let my relationships suffer in the meantime.  It is my hope that by scheduling some time into each day for some automatic "down time," that I will have more energy to put into relationships with others, instead of feeling the need to just veg out.
  • to challenge myself to share more of "me" with those around me.  This includes my time, my activities, my weaknesses and my strengths and knowledge.  I know a lot of people focus so much on their weaknesses, and that includes me.  I am my own worst critic, and often feel like "well, who am I to speak into (fill in the blank)?"  Even though I *KNOW* there are things I'm good at,  there's still this doubt in my brain that it's not quite good enough.  A sweet friend recently reminded me that I *DO* have something to offer, especially in the areas of homemaking and family.  Exploring ways to share and stepping out of my comfort zone is going to be a challenge for me, but I hope that I can help others and grow in my own self-confidence as well.
I'll be honest, these three main goals are completely out of my comfort zone.  I like eating whatever I feel like, but reality is that 40 is just around the corner and I want to continue to be active for a long time.  I also like having my evenings to myself to do whatever I want.  I don't want to limit my book reading to a certain time of day.  But my relationships with others are more important than that.  I would much prefer to just share myself with my family and close friends, to teach my daughters about life and call it good.  But I have friends that could benefit from what I have to offer, and I can share myself through those avenues, even if sometimes I feel inadequate.


I have some other goals, too.  I have some really huge ones, that aren't quite ready to share with the wide world yet.  They are still marinating in prayer and planning.  I have work goals, such as finishing the process of getting my National Board certification.  I have smaller personal goals, such as continuing to catch up on memory keeping, and completing projects around the house (one of my living room windows has been without a window covering for almost 2 years!!).  Seriously. 

So what about you?  Did you set some goals for 2017?  Or are you taking each day as it comes? Either way, I hope you have the opportunity to challenge yourself to grow in 2017, and to enjoy the beauty that happens along the journey.

Happy New Year!!

xo~
becca

No comments: