Thursday, March 5, 2009

Spelling bee update.

Vivisection:
Main Entry: viv·i·sec·tion
Pronunciation: \ˌvi-və-ˈsek-shən, ˈvi-və-ˌ\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin vivus + English section
Date: 1707
1: the cutting of or operation on a living animal usually for physiological or pathological investigation ; broadly : animal experimentation especially if considered to cause distress to the subject2: minute or pitiless examination or criticism

Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary. www.m-w.com

You know, I wouldn't have known how to spell it either. Vivisection is the word that felled Gabe in the County Spelling, excuse me, Orthography Bee, earlier this afternoon. Jon and I are so proud that he made it to County, and happy that he didn't miss something far more simple.

2 comments:

Kylie and crew. said...

Go Gabe!! I think it's awesome he did so well. He is by far one of the coolest young kids at our church! Also sweet "me-me" on your blog!

Miss Misti said...

Congratulations Gabe! It's pretty fun watching your kids compete, isn't it? Our daughter, Makayla, just competed in the Alaska State Spelling Bee last week. The word she got "out" on was "menhaden". I guess it's a fish of some sort. Oh well, we were very proud of her too!