Monday, October 31, 2016

{Baked Potato Soup}

This one is a family favorite.  I got the original recipe years ago from a church cookbook that our church produced, so I can't take full credit for it.  I have adapted it a bit over the years, but the main recipe is the same, courtesy of my friend Kevin Overbeck..


Creamy, delightful goodness.  We can't wait for dinner when it is Potato Soup night.

Here's the lowdown:

Potatoes (I usually use 10 medium size russets, but roughly 2 per person)
Water to cover potatoes and a couple of cubes of bullion; I adjust a bit based on how many I'm feeding
~OR~
Chicken broth, enough to cover the potatoes
1 small onion, finely chopped
Generous sprinklings of garlic salt and white pepper
1 pkg bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1 C milk
1 C sour cream
1/2 C butter
1/2 flour
Green onions
Cheddar cheese

Bring potatoes, onion, garlic salt, white pepper and water or broth to a boil.  Boil until potatoes are tender.  While boiling, melt butter and add flour to make a roux.  When potatoes are finished, reduce heat and add milk and sour cream.  When the sour cream has blended, add roux and stir until thickened.  Ladle into bowls and serve with green onions and cheddar cheese as garnish. 




No comments: