Monday, October 17, 2011

Rainy days and Mondays

So, today wasn't rainy, but it was definitely a Monday, filled with all the usual highs and lows that Monday brings.  On the upside, it's a short week at school this week, so it's a 4-day weekend for me!  I didn't sleep very well last night, though, so this morning was a bit of a struggle.  Right now, my kiddos are getting ready for bedtime prayers by doing gymnastics in the living room.  Over the weekend, while I was having fun at my library conference (yes, FUN, for all you doubters out there), the kids and Jon roamed around Spokane and Jon introduced them to some of the finer points of the area, including Manito Park, Northtown Mall, Riverpark Square.  I think the kids are becoming a bit more acclimated to the idea of the move, which is good.  They keep asking if they can try new activities when we get there, instead of Irish Dance.  I understand where they are coming from, but it breaks my heart that they don't love Irish Dance as much as I want them to.  So between finances and childrens' wishes, we will have to see what kind of compromise we can work out once we are actually in Spokane.  I so want them to continue with the dance; it is such a good physical activity, and the automatic sense of community is fun.  But I don't want them to end up hating it because I made them do it, either.  For now, we are continuing with Irish Dance in Missoula, and I hope that in the few months we have left here, that it will become more and more something they love.  One of the dichotomies of being a mom: wanting to give them everything they want, while at the same time knowing that giving them everything they want is not what they need.  Ah, the joys of parenting.

It's been a bit of a flurry of posts here the last few days, which I love.  I'm trying to make time to post more often, but don't be surprised if it slows down a bit; we picked apples last night at Dad's, which means we have a lot to do this weekend.  (It's a really good thing it's a 4 day weekend!)  I'll leave you with these fun pics of picking apples yesterday:



No comments: