Monday, November 22, 2010

Sometimes you're the bug.

This line from an old country song was stuck in my head yesterday:

"Sometimes you're the windshield,
sometimes you're the bug."

I think it was because sometimes there are just days when things don't go your way, and you feel like the bug. 

To begin with, we found out on Saturday night that a good friend of ours passed away from pancreatic cancer.  He was an awesome man of God, someone who was a mentor to me in many ways, a guy who was "Papa" to my kiddos, who rejoiced and cried with us during some great and difficult times.  Papa O, you are greatly missed.  His passing was somewhat of a shock, as we didn't realize that things had gotten so serious, and it didn't really hit me until Sunday morning, when Beth spent all of Sunday morning worship on my lap in tears.

Then, after church, Jon and I had a disagreement.  Nothing major, but still not fun.  It took me most of the rest of the day to straighten out my own attitude.

Fast forward to this morning, and Gabe wakes up in a funk, ready to take on Michaela in order to get half of a packet of fruit snacks.  I think we got it straightened out, but like I said, there are days when sometimes it feels like life is the windshield, and I am the bug.

Thankfully, on the days it feels like I'm getting squished by the cares of life, I know a place I can go...
Matthew 11:29-30 reminds me that Jesus will willingly take on my cares and that I don't have to carry them.  He tells me, "My yoke is easy, and my burden is light."  Words of comfort.  When I remember to fix my eyes where they belong, my burdens don't seem quite so difficult, and what seemed like a huge deal in my own eyes becomes less, while the grace of God becomes more.  So, so thankful for that!

Hopefully the rest of the day is better, but if not, I hope I can keep my focus where it belongs...not looking for windshields to smack into.

Have a blessed day!

1 comment:

Kylie and crew. said...

Thanks for the scripture reminder. I had a yucky weekend too and I needed this!