Sunday, August 26, 2012

{Recipe} Glazed Almonds with Lavender

Back in April, some friends of ours took us to a winery where we tasted wines and ate tasty glazed nuts with lavender.  They were amazing, but Jon is allergic to most tree nuts.  After returning home, I embarked on a quest to find a recipe for glaze that I could make with almonds, since they are one of few nuts that Jon is not allergic to.  I found this glaze recipe originally at cooks.com.  I just added dried lavender to it to get the similarity to the nuts we had at the winery.  It's not quite the same...this recipe comes out more like a nut brittle than a glaze, but it is tasty, just the same! 


Here's the scoop:
2 TBSP butter or margarine
1/2 C Sugar
1 C raw almonds
1/2 tsp vanilla
Food grade dried lavender flowers, to taste (I maybe used as much as a tablespoon... you don't want too much or they taste too perfume-y).

Combine butter, sugar, almonds and vanilla in a heavy skillet over medium low heat.  Stir constantly until sugar mixture becomes a liquid.  Add lavender flowers and spread mixture onto prepared surface (I used parchment paper, but you could use foil over a cookie sheet).  At this point, I sprinkled some of my remaining lavender flowers over the top.  When cool, break into pieces and enjoy!  (Try not to eat them all at once).

Delish!

No comments: