Monday, September 3, 2012

Random "Eve of school" thoughts

Tonight is the last night of summer vacation.  Tomorrow, my children will head off to school they have never gone to before.  I will enter my very own music classroom...something I wasn't sure I would ever do, to be honest.  We are all excited and a bit nervous, but mostly excited!  The backpacks are packed, the clothes are ready, lunches are ready; all the things we need for a successful tomorrow have been prepared, including the most important ingredient:  prayer.  Over the last week especially, I have found myself in constant prayer for my children as they prepare to enter uncharted territory.  I have prayed for myself, that I can be an effective music teacher, that kids will like me (selfish, I know, but hey), that I can make some small impact on students from my school who live in poverty (over 90% free and reduced population) that will make a difference in their lives.

Prayer is something that often does not come easily to me in formal situations, yet I find myself talking to God throughout my days, which leads me to these verses from 1 Thessalonians:

And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone.  Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else.  Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.  (14-18)

This section speaks directly to my teacher heart, and my mama heart.  I plan to hold tight to it over the course of the next few months.  I will pray for my children and strive to help them with these transitions however I can.  I will also pray for my students, and I know that my prayers will not be in vain.

1 comment:

Kylie and crew. said...

Love that you are a praying Mom and teacher. I hope that the first day was great. I look forward to hearing the update!